Monday, June 29, 2009

Chapter 33: Am I Really Gonna Change My Major?

Well I've given it a lot of thought, and I think I'm going to change my major at school.

It's not that I don't enjoy my current major (Vocal Music Performance) but it's just that I never wanted singing to be a "chore". I don't enjoy singing like I did, and I often find myself dreading going to choir or anything like that. It's difficult to keep going when the one thing that you've done since you were two is the one thing that's turning against you.

I've been doing a lot of research and really thinking about this. I decided that I have two to three options if I do decide to change my major:

1. African American Studies

2. Spanish

3. Dietetics

Those are my top three choices right now. All three of them would be something I would love doing and I could get great jobs in all three fields. They are, however, in no particular order. The one I am leaning towards the most as of now would be option number three. Dietetics is basically diets, nutrition, fitness, etc. etc. I could get a job working as a Dietitian in hospitals, gyms, or even school systems. I could also work with overweight people and help them to lose weight. I also thought that doing this might be the great motivation I need to really kick start my weightloss back into gear and just shed the rest of these lbs off like butter! I mean who's gonna listen to a fat nutritionist?! lol...so I have to lose weight if I'm going to do this. And think about this, when I do lose the weight if I have a degree as a Dietetics Person Thingy then I can tell others about my story and maybe help someone who is in my shoes. I mean, I am in no way skinny, but I hope to change that within the next 9 months.

Well, let me know what you think. I would love your advice! :)

4 comments:

  1. Usually when you choose something to do every day of your life it can become a chore regardless of how much you enjoyed it in the beginning. It's wonderful being able to earn a living at something you really like doing, but remember the main focus is to earn a living.

    Foreign language should be included no matter what. Most of the jobs of the future require being bi-lingual. It can't hurt.

    Dietitian is a good choice. It would help your motivation and keep you focused. A personal testimony is always a great educational tool to share.

    African American Studies? Do you want to teach? What would you do with the degree?

    All campuses have career advisors. Most have a computer program that lets you explore jobs in different fields of study. Perhaps you should make an appointment with a counselor and discuss your thoughts. If you switch majors without doing that, you may end up in the same boat again...

    I went through the same thing, so I speak from experience. I never understood how people in their late teens could make a decision like that! Seek wisdom from others. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Lily. Well the bad thing is that my advisor and I don't really get along, therefore it would be pointless to talk to her about this. We've already discussed this and she strongly expressed her opinion in that she thought I should change my major. I have also talked to a few of my teachers and my personal Voice Coach. I'm also meeting with a friend of mine and a teacher from high school that both majored in Dietetics so they can kinda give me the run down of what it's all about! I'm definitely giving it a lot of thought. This is not just something I want to throw around, but I do want to be happy in my career choice. Thanks for your advice! :) I'm so glad I've got some great dedicated readers :)

    -Chase

    ReplyDelete
  3. my major's dietetics! I LOVE IT!! it becomes such a passion, and it's so much fun. it's not easy though.. you've got biochemistry, organic, microbiology, a&p, all that stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really cool...I didn't know that. Yeah, I've always enjoyed nutrition and all that jazz. I really love cooking and coming up with new healthy recipes and new healthy things to eat. I'll have to chat with ya sometime about it. I'm nervous, but I'm really excited and I'm so ready for a change! :)

    ReplyDelete