Sunday, July 12, 2009

Chapter 37: The Night Shift

It was a night, just like any other, but there was something slightly different about tonight. The wind was calm, the moon was bright, and the heat was muggy. I pulled up to the building. I turned off my car, grabbed my bag, and slowly climbed out of my car...I was terrified of what might be lurking inside, yet at the same time it excited me. I walked to the front door and knocked. My palms were a little sweaty and my heart beat was fast...the front door opened...it was....it was....my...CO-WORKER!

Yep, that's right...it was work. Tonight/this morning/last night I worked my first night shift as a 911 Operator/Dispatcher. It's almost 5am and it wasn't really that bad *knock on wood*. I'm sitting here now on the "Lounge Computer" taking a short break to update you guys...and in the next second I could be running back to my desk (yes, literally running...) to answer a 911 call. Which could range from "My dog won't come out from under the bed" to "My husband just stabbed me in the chest and took my kids!" You just never know. So yeah, I'm trying to find the strength to stay awake lol.

The worst thing about all-nighters/night shift is that I tend to eat...a lot! I eat more at night and when I'm staying up all night than I eat all day. I munch a lot especially when I'm trying to stay awake. I hate it though because then I go straight home after this and I'll sleep until about 4pm. Then I'll take some sleeping pills and go back to sleep around 10pm (that way my sleeping schedule doesn't get screwed up too bad lol). So yeah, no time for exercise...or atleast it's really hard to FIND time for exercise lol. Well I guess my break time is up...I need to get back to my desk...this is Operator 812 with DeKalb County 911 signing off! :)

1 comment:

  1. I loved night shift! Different strokes for different folks. Sound like you need to find some chair exercises to do at work to take the place of the nibbling. Don't let your shift be your downfall. Stay strong and focused! I'm here rooting you on!

    ReplyDelete